Introduction to GitHub
GitHub is a website and cloud-based service that allows developers to store and manage their code, as well as track and control changes to their code, at a high level. To fully grasp what GitHub is, you must first comprehend two interconnected principles:
- Versions Control
Versions Control lets developers safely work through branching and merging.
When a developer uses branching, he or she replicates a portion of the source code (known as the repository). The developer can then safely make changes to that part of the code without affecting the rest of the project.
Then, once the developer gets his or her part of the code working properly, he or she can merge that code back into the main source code to make it official.
What Is Version Control?
Developers can use version control to keep track of and manage changes to a software project’s code. Version control becomes increasingly important as a software project grows.
Version control allows developers to safely branch and merge code.
When a developer uses branching, he or she copies a portion of the source code (called the repository). The developer can now safely modify that section of the code without affecting the rest of the project.
The developer can then merge his or her code back into the main source code to make it official once he or she has gotten his or her section of the code operating properly.
What is GIT?
Git is a distributed version control system, which implies that every developer’s computer has access to the whole codebase and history, allowing for easy branching and merging.
GitHub is a for-profit company that offers cloud-based Git repository hosting. Individuals and teams will find it much easier to use Git for version control and collaboration.
How To Use Git And GitHub
To get started with GitHub, follow these steps:
- Sign Up a free GitHub account.
- Follow the GitHub Hello World guide to learn about the most common tasks you’ll want to perform.
- Version Control in WordPress (What It Is and Best Solutions)
- Read this article to learn more about the differences between Git and Github, as well as how to get started with either.
Save time, money, and improve site performance by using:
- Expert WordPress hosting assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Integration with Cloudflare Enterprise.
- With 29 data centres across the world, we can reach a global audience.
- With our built-in Application Performance Monitoring, you can improve your performance.